Bro Country

Oct 31 2014 Published by under AntiFeminist Asshole, Music

heard this a few days ago on the country station.

Thanks for sending me to look for it on YouTube MyTChondria, the video adds punch.

• Former Technician says:

That. Was. Fabulous! Thank you for sharing. I think the sentiment applies to most music these days. I am not "Hey beautiful" , "Hot stuff" , "Shorty", or even "#&%^!*". Respect is missing. I am not advocating a return to protecting women because they are property, but for all genders is needed.

Of course, I do feel the need to comment that what the artists are wearing in their own video doesn't help. We are not here to look good for you, but well maybe we are. Messes up the message a little.

• Goddamn, that fucken music is horrible. How can people listen to that fucken country shitte? Horrible how they took awesome bluegrass and poppified it into unlistenable swill, same as they took awesome R&B and turned it into motherfucken unlistenable beyonce-type garbage.

• dsks says:

"Horrible how they took awesome bluegrass and poppified it into unlistenable swill"

I used to read a mag called Uncut in the UK religiously because they featured a lot of what I assumed was country music, and I liked it ( The Handsome Family, Will Oldham's many guises, Papa M, Silver Jews, Emmylou Harris and yeah, even Ryan Adams)... I was excited to come over here to where it was all at, only to discover what I was into wasn't mainstream at all. THIS shit was mainstream. That was a dose of reality right there. And it's everywhere. I thought I'd escaped it by moving to upstate NY from MO, BUT IT'S WORSE!

Ye gads.

• Davis Sharp says:

Them there are two fine pieces - I'm talking about the Taylor and Martin guitars - fine pieces of luthiership.

The song is clever, humorous, and pokes at the establishment. Some of the purveyors of "Bro Country" have sneered at it, which sorta proves the point that M&T are trying to make. These two are 18 y.o. and act a helluva lot more mature in interviews where they have to walk the line (pun intended) between defending their song and not offending the good ol' boy country music industry. As far as what they're wearing, they mentioned in an NPR interview that they like to wear cutoffs, etc. when they choose.

• Comradde PhysioProffe says:

"Why do you imagine that pop-ification of any genre would not have the exact same horrible effects, CPP? Shall I post some fake-rap-country fusion shit that is currently popular next?"

Dude, learn to fucken read. My whole point was that the popification of any genre you wanna pick has been a fucken horrible nightmare. That was like why I was all like "oh, it's not only bluegrass. They also ruined r&b." Get it, dumshitte??

• Davis Sharp says:

R&B is popification of gospel. Bluegrass is popification of Celtic music. How far back shall we go?

• toto says:

Davis: according to the well-known Central Limit for Music Acceptance Theorem, "any type of music that emerges after my 20's is derivative crap that bastardizes the hallowed music that *I* listened to."

• Beaker says:

In this context, it seems appropriate to acknowledge Taylor Swift. She took the whole country music scene and said, "later dudes." Let's hope she continues along her path of personal enlightenment and that she leaves all of this "country music chick" shit in the dust.

• Zuska says:

Haha, music snobs crack me up!

DM, thanks for posting this. It seriously brightened my day, and this was a day that seriously needed brightening.

I cannot believe those women were even able to get that song/video produced in today's Nashville. Major kudos to them.

• neuromusic says:

@zuska - they just better be careful not to criticize the next GOP president

• mytchondria says:

/quote Goddamn, that fucken music is horrible. /endquote

....I know somebody who wants a Big and Rich album for Kwanzaa

• mytchondria says:

The way, GertyZ said that would make CPP's quote in italics. It really didn't. Unless you put your 420 googles on.

DON'T TRUST THE LESBIANS....they have quotas to fill!

• Davis Sharp says:

@toto. I undersatnd your theoren, but in 10 -20 years, someone will accuse the boy band du jour or being derivative of One Direction.

• Lady Scientist says:

'Fraid I have to agree with CPP and dsks on this one. The music in that video was horrible, even though I appreciate the sentiment behind it.

Nashville has better than that.

Signed,
    chick who knew who Gillian Welch was many years before she became famous

• Lady Scientist says:

@ Dsks: If only you'd had Honey Boo Boo to warn you about the realities of modern America before you moved here.

• Dr Becca says:

Ugh, how are you missing the entire point? Can you think of any other reason a woman might decide to dress attractively besides for you??? Try hard, I'll wait.