Driverless automobiles

Sep 09 2014 Published by under Uncategorized

Driverless cars will not be accepted until most people who remember Windows95 are dead.

• BioDataSci says:

I used Windows 95 and can't wait till I can afford a driverless car. For now, I'm stuck with my 1993 Camry.

• AcademicLurker says:

I'll bet there are still instruments somewhere in my building that are controlled by computers running Windows 95.

Those driverless cars will have to wait a while.

• Joe says:

I'm hoping you're wrong. I remember MS-DOS and Windows 1.0, and I am ready for my driverless car now.
    When those photos of the Google car were shown, I heard people speculating that the driverless cars might first be tried in retirement villages or vacation islands where people use golf carts now. If the old guys get used to them, maybe introduction to the general public would not be so hard.

• I'm sure somebody will jump in and talk about remembering using the DEC PDP-8 or something in the 1960s, but I remember the programming the Apple ][+ circa 1982.

Anyway, besides the nostalgia, what is DM's point exactly? That the technical challenges of self-driving vehicles are a lot harder than it looks now with tests on nearly empty roads, or that even if they work fine, people will stubbornly refuse to cede driving to a machine?

Probably, because people aren't logical.
    No one who has seen folks in my family drive thinks robots would be worse.

• Dave says:

Some of us actually enjoy driving. Fucke this driverless car nonsense. You'll be trying to convince me that I need a 'smart watch' next.

• Jaws says:

What scares me most about "driverless cars" is that so many of the programming efforts are occurring here in the Bay Area... meaning that the "driver" in the "driverless" car will be a California driver. It could be worse -- the model might be a taxi driver in Rome or Istanbul -- but not much. (I get to say that having learned to drive elsewhere, in a place where natives actually use turn signals and know how to merge and to parallel park and what those octagonal red signs really mean.)

The real problem with Windows95 (and the Mac) is a simple one: If Ghod had meant us to use a GUI, It wouldn't have invented keyboards. Or punch cards.

• eeke says:

Speak for yourself! If you're point is that the cars will operate at the same reliability as Windows95 (crash all the time), then yeah, I can see where that might be a problem.

• Grumble says:

A Microsoft-produced driverless car would indeed be a failure of epic proportions, similar to Chevy's attempts at selling a car named "Nova" in Mexico. Then again, we had driverless cars in the 1970s already - as kid I heard a story about how this guy knew someone whose uncle used to leave his motor home on cruise control while he went back to the fridge to grab a coke. Too bad these stories are apocryphal.

Anyway, counter to JB, Google is testing driverless cars not on empty desert highways, but on busy Bay Area streets. As that article points out, though, no manufacturer is likely to start selling them anytime soon even if they work perfectly. What's more likely is that they continue to gradually incorporate more and more automation elements, and maybe when we're very close to not having to drive at all, people will accept the next logical step of entirely releasing control to a computer. We already do that on many automated train systems (e.g., airport inter-terminal trains and London's Dockyards Light Rail).

• I would love to cede driving to the car. I fucken hate to drive.

Doesn't your chauffeur drive most of the time anyway?

• Comradde PhysioProffe says:

Yeah, but that fucker's a pain in the asse. He won't shut up when I'm trying to edit one of the grants my post-docs write for me and then gets all pissy when I raise the partition.

• hpmcmf says:

Yes. I quit driving some 6 yrs ago and I've enjoyed using public transportation. It has been wonderful. However, sometimes situations change as in my case and now I am considering getting a new car and getting back to driving again. Quite happy with the return to driving.

• Dave says:

I reckon feelings about driving correlate perfectly with where a person lives.

• Ben says:

Spend some time sitting in maddening traffic jams caused by the fact that people can't figure out how to merge smoothly and you'll be more agreeable about it. Most people think they're very skilled drivers (I know I am), but on the whole they're pretty bad at it.

• hpmcmf says:

there are as****** all over the place.