I'm in my lane

Aug 14 2014 Published by under Anger

One of the best tweets respecting the situation in Ferguson Missouri this week came from music star John Legend.

Robert Cohen, AP. via http://www.ctpost.com/news/crime/article/Racial-tensions-are-not-new-in-St-Louis-suburb-5684204.php#photo-6716183

Having an opinion, and expressing them, about the horrible things going on in our society is a rightful role of every citizen.

I'm in my lane too.

This is disturbingly reminiscent of pictures from the Civil Rights fights in the 1960s in the United States, is it not?

Join the American Civil Liberties Union.

Donate to the NAACP.

Contact your CongressCritter.

• Alex says:

Whenever somebody tells musicians to "stay in your lane" or "shut up and sing", it's like they never heard of protest music.

I gotta say, I'm not ready to make nice.

I'm not ready to back down. I'm still mad as hell, Alex.

• Alex says:

I'm tempted to quote Ice T and Body Count, but I don't want my name on a list.

• So if musicians are supposed to "stay in lane", presumably people who pursue any other career or profession or jobbe are also supposed to "stay in lane"? So we're *all* just supposed to "stay in lane" and ignore egregious sociopolitical shitte? I'm having trouble thinking of any political philosophy within which that makes any sense other than Fascism.

• mytchondria says:

I have this conversation with my wingnut friends who have a shitte ton of thoughts on how everyone should live their lives (reproductive rights, marriage equality, gender equality) poking into peoples personal lives like it's their job. Then, when a genuine issue of sheer racism becomes evident they suddenly 'Don't no nothing about birthin' no babies Miss Scarlett!" because the police have things in under control. Lets be honest snowflakes....they have things under control for white folks.

Cops are people and they make good decisions and shittty ones. This one is as ignorant as they get. That gut wrenching feeling you have watching tanks roll thru suburbia is real.

You may not know much about police tactics, crowd control or weapons, but that feeling that there is no fuckken way they would do this to a bunch of white kids protesting (Kent State still in everyone's minds as a 'never again' thing??) is dead on.

Who in the the land of sweet Jebus gave these cops the power and authority to unilaterally declare martial law?

Fuckke lanes people.

Shit ain't like that, Alex. It's real. fucked. Up.

• Alex says:

I don't give a fuck. They done pushed me to my limit. I'm all in.

I see no justice.

• Grumble says:

"Ferguson is nearly 70 percent black, but the law here is still enforced by a police department that is more than 90 percent white, a fact that helps engender widespread distrust of officers ..."

No shit.

Fours years and not a single black officer was hired. Maybe Chief Jackson needs to be fired for not doing his fucking job.

And maybe America needs to wake up to the concept that allowing our police departments to have military equipment is antithetical to our values and should be banned.

• dsks says:

"The police chief "made recruiting and promoting black officers a priority when he took over four years," but "we don't get nearly as many African-American applicants as we would like," [the mayor] said."

I don't buy that. I can't find the numbers, but it seemed to me that the metropolitan police ethnic breakdown usually tallied fairly well with the demographics of a given beat. A good proportion of the cops working East Tower Grove were black in my experience living there for 8 yrs. There was clearly segregation in effect as to which cops you would see in a particular area (all white on The Hill, but that place is as racist as hell) - which wasn't terribly progressive - but at least there was some diversity.

St. Louis needs to get over the hump and merge a lot of these police departments, with the city taking the main reins. The currently atomized set up, with each surrounding "city"/suburb having its own cops makes it too easy for racist bullshittery to unfold. One sheriff of Ladue resigned a coupla years back because the mayor told him straight up to try and discourage "those people" from coming out that way with stop and search. And I'd estimate about 95% of the stop and searches I ever saw happening out Clayton way involved vehicles with black drivers, even on game night when the highways were flooded with pissed up white Cards fans. It was disgraceful.

Anyone know the correlation between likelihood of white folks being disproportionately represented on the police force and likelihood the police force has military weapons?
    @dsks- here are some numbers. http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/st-louis-area-police-forces-are-less-diverse-communities-they-serve-statistics-show

For the record, I saw at least one news story focus on how some of the flustercluckup may be related to *multiple police departments on the scene at the same time with no clear chain of command*.

• dsks says:

Becca, those are the numbers for the county police not the metropolitan police (that oversea St. Louis City).

I understand it's county not metropolitan police, but the county police were on the scene (among others), from what I've read.
    Be that as it may, I've noticed people in science saying "yes, things are unequal but *our* department is more balanced" when that is not mathematically correct... it's not that hard to get these kinds of things wrong.

• Gumble says:

"I'd estimate about 95% of the stop and searches I ever saw happening out Clayton way involved vehicles with black drivers..."

I'm willing to bet that similar proportions hold all over the country. DWB* has always been one of the easiest crimes for police to prevent, because it happens so blatantly out in the open.

*Driving While Black