Thought of the day

Mar 20 2014 Published by under #FWDAOTI, Academics, Science Publication

If you don't ever publish papers that are only of interest to yourself....that's sad.

• Dr Becca says:

That sentence is a little hard to parse, but are you saying you should sometimes publish things just as a little present to yourself, even if they have no relevance to anything in the outside world?

This is in response to a suggestion that if you have papers that are never cited by anyone other than yourself that this is bad. I agree that if nobody is interested in any of your work, this might be a problem.

But if you never, ever pump out a paper that isn't cited? I think that is unfortunate. It implies a lack of independent scientific interest to me. It implies you aren't following your own muse enough.

(and now I better check if I have any papers that qualify)

• rxnm says:

I published a paper no one gives a shit about. It's an h-index millstone around my neck.

Papers can't subtract from h-index....only improve.

• eeke says:

"But if you never, ever pump out a paper that isn't cited? I think that is unfortunate. It implies a lack of independent scientific interest to me. "

What? It's the first day of spring - a little too early for April fool's.

• Eli Rabett says:

Eli has a two pager with NO cites that pretty much killed off an entire experimental method.

• The only papers I've ever published with no citations are ones that just came out. A few weeks ago.

• dsks says:

Well, one doesn't necessarily know whether a seemingly trivial and whimsical foray into navel-gazing might actually end up being of interest to others. So one should arguably publish that sort of stuff and let the mob be its judge...

... unless, of course... it concerns some hair-brained Friday afternoon experiments on the proteomics of bong water or whathaveyou. That shit needs to just stay on one's hard drive where it cannot offend the rational sensibilities of one's fellow right-minded colleagues. Navel-gazing is one thing; wondering around the playground in a dirty mac flashing the fruits of one's questionably pertinent exertions is quite another.

• qaz says:

Do self-citations count?

• The Other Dave says:

Why publish something that you think others won't care about?

That's like putting movies of yourself masturbating on the internet.

Oh, wait...

• GAATTC says:

I thought that looked like the other Dave in the video...

Oh wait...