Thought of the Day

Feb 07 2017 Published by under Day in the life of DrugMonkey

I started blogging in a fit of anger about some aspect of the grant-funded scientific research career or other.

In the course of venting a lot of spleen about things that were bothering me, I met a lot of new people, virtually and eventually in real life.

These people taught me a lot of interesting stuff. Some career related, some scientific, some just plain old life.

It has been an interesting decade.

Thanks. To all my Readers and Commenters over the years.

Thank you.

• Nat says:

Well if you are hanging up the posts, thanks.

• Cynric says:

You're welcome.

Please don't stop...

• Philapodia says:

Scene:
    A fluorescently light room in CSR without snacks, faces around the rectangle lit up by computer screens while reviewers are frantically re-reading their reviews while ignoring the grant being discussed so they can sound informed when it's their time to perform. Looking around, Philapodia sighs and types into the "Leave a Reply" box:

"This used to be my specialty. You know, I was good in a study section. They'd send me in there, and I'd do it alone. And now I just...

But tonight, our little stack of reviews, our pile had a very big night -- a very, very big night.

But it wasn't complete, wasn't nearly close to being in the same vicinity as complete, because I couldn't share it with you. I couldn't hear your voice or laugh about it with you. I miss my -- I miss my Drug Monkey.

We live in a cynical world, a cynical world, and we work in a business of tough salespersons, er... I mean scientists.

I need you. You -- complete me.

And I just had --

DM: Shut up. Just shut up.

You had me at Georgia font.

You had me at Georgia.
    "
    End scene

fin

• Grumble says:

Yo, DM. Thanks for the 10 years of help and insights. You've been a big help.

Now, stop with the suspiciously valedictory posts. We need you now more than ever.

• A Salty Scientist says:

DM, you have made our little corner of the universe a better place. Sincere thanks.

10 more years!

• Emaderton3 says:

10 more years, 10 more years . . . (at least the next 4-8 please)!

• EPJ says:

Thank you for your support.

• physioprof says:

Dude, this maudlin shittio is over the top.

• JL says:

Thanks DM. Thanks to other commenters who make this an outstanding hangout.

Having said that, physioprof is right.

• rs says:

Thank you. I have learned a lot reading from this blog, from the posts as well as from the comments and discussions.

• ninacat says:

Thanks. Your blog helped me a great deal as this career thing evolved. Sometimes you reinforced my own thoughts. Sometimes you forced me to confront uncomfortable truths. Sometimes you were a virtual hand to hold when things were down. Your posts--and the those that commented and told of their experiences and gave their advice--priceless. If you are retiring--I'm wishing you blue skies, warm seas and someone to share the fun.

I'm with physioprof--this post and the one on the previous post. We're in Trumpland now--the big bold alternative universe. It won't be long until he turns his ire on those who generate the data that refute those alt-facts. We need to march--and we need people like you to lead.

• damit says:

You know, DM, your commentary sometimes really ticked me off.
    We will probably never find agreement on referencing formats or junior faculty on study sections.
    But Dude, you brought something important in general and I hope you don't quit.

• bacillus says:

" The lamps are going out all over DrugMonkey land, we shall not see them lit again in our life-time"

• iGrrrl says:

You've helped a lot more people than ever commented. I do hope you stick with us.

• Emaderton3 says:

Bueller?

• Pass-through entity says:

I keep coming back here, waiting for a new post...

Please don't leave us, DM!

• postdochell says:

I'm also going through an extinction burst.. I really hope this isn't the end. I've read/lurked this blog since I started grad school in 2009 and have really enjoyed the topics and conversations.

• UCProf says:

I see Drugmonkey is still alive on twitter.

He just posted this:

"Maybe I'm weird but I'm actually annoyed when authors didn't cite their own related prior work. I like to track back on a topic of interest."

I'm not a complete twitter neophyte, but close. I can find his posts, but can anyone tell me how to follow a conversation?

So he tweets that, presumably other people tweet back, kind of like if he posted here and there's a conversation, right? How can I follow it on one page, just like here.

Oh god, this is a metaphor for my research. I just can't keep up with the new technologies and I'm falling behind.

• Philapodia says:

Yup, DM has been sucked into the Twitterverse, where <140 character word vomit is considered "conversation" and nuance is non-existent, and he doesn't appear to be coming back. I guess this is the nail in the coffin for Scientopia.

Fucke, Twitter gives me a headache.

• bureau cat says:

Whoa. Really? I need this blog. I don't understand twitter. I need my blog posts. This is the community.

• Kate says:

Still nothing? Is it really over? I'm gutted 🙁

• Eli Rabett says:

First Female Science Professor, then Drug Monkey. Damnit

• neurosomething says:

come back please.

• SidVic says:

Boy o boy, that budget proposal sure looks austere.....

What nothing??...

meh

• Philapodia says:

I get that after 10 years you're tired of this blog, and Twitter is a lot more fast-paced and exciting (but less than useless to a lot of us). But honestly, dude, you just up and abandoned a good size virtual community that you've developed over a long time with no warning, a community that a lot of people have come to rely on for actual discussion about things that are important for our careers. You've left us all hanging without even the courtesy of saying "hey, it's been great but I've decided to focus on other things. Good luck!". Dick move, man.

• Another Assistant Prof says:

Anyone else keep coming back to look for more comments on this thread? ^ What Philapodia said... it's sort of an overly dramatic dick move to leave your community hanging like that. You might have given to us over the years, but we gave to you, too.

Twitter sucks. There's no depth.

Grrr.

• meshugena313 says:

Today is the day to come back here, DM! Twitter is fun and all, but the discussion here is much more serious, no? So much to unpack: GSI, budget increase, etc...

• DNAman says:

I miss this blog. I set up a subreddit to enable similar discussion on Reddit

• DNAman says:

I miss this blog. I set up a subreddit to enable similar discussion on Reddit

I can't post the link here, but go to reddit and the subreddit is called NIHfunding

You can construct the url from www "dot" reddit "dot" com "slash" r "slash" NIHfunding

• Zuska says:

"Rat in a drain ditch, caught on a limb, you know better but I know him.
    Like I told you, what I said, Steal your face right off your head.
    Now he's gone, now he's gone, Lord he's gone, he's gone.
    Like a steam locomotive, rollin' down the track
    He's gone, gone, nothin's gonna bring him back, he's gone."

If he's gone where the wind don't blow so strange, I wish he'd taken us with him.