Science magazine selects Jeremy Berg as EIC

May 25 2016 Published by under Science Publication, Scientific Publication

Well this is certainly exciting news!

Jeremy Berg, a biochemist and administrator at the University of Pittsburgh (Pitt) in Pennsylvania, will become the next editor-in-chief of Science magazine on 1 July. A former director of the National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS) who has a longstanding interest in science policy, Berg will succeed Marcia McNutt, who is stepping down to become president of the National Academy of Sciences.

I am a big fan of Jeremy Berg and his efforts to use data to drive policy when heading one of the NIH ICs and his efforts as a civilian to extract NIH grant data via FOIA requests for posting on his DataHound blog.

I look forward to a new era at Science magazine with an EIC who prefers that institutions make their decisions based on data and that they be as transparent as possible about their processes.

Science is lucky to have him! I hope he enjoys the gig.

• Philapodia says:

Can we submit papers though his Datahound blog? We know the EIC now! That's how the glam mags work, right?

Seriously, congrats to Jeremy. He'll do a great job and make important changes to the CNS publishing culture.

• Dusanbe says:

DataGlamHound?

I don't know that we can expect him to change Glam Culture. Frankly I don't think we've seen much from him about where he stands on Glam. I am keen to see him use his bully pulpit to further discussions about how we sustain science in an equitable and productive manner into the future. Also, I suppose, to see where he goes with current trends for open science, pre-prints and basically all nontraditional methods of communicating science.

Will he have a cool Editor's blog????

• Neuro-conservative says:

This is awesome news. I strongly encourage him to continue his Datahound work on that platform.

• jmz4 says:

That's great. He's been a strong supporter of workforce reform, so I hope those issues will enjoy his editorial attention.

• dsks says:

He can't change GlamCulture, because it doesn't, and never did, originate from the GlamRagz themselves but from the institutions and scientists that idolize them. The publishers just capitalize on this, and short of shooting their bottom line in the foot have absolutely no incentive to discourage it.

But if Berg is allowed to bring some of his DataHound ruminations into the editorial pages and enhance their exposure beyond the blogopshere from time to time, that can only be a good thing, imho.

• DJMH says:

Can't wait for the Datahound approach applied to manuscript submissions, time spent in review, eventual outcome of manuscript at this or other journals, etc...I hope he gets some R-minded admin helpers 'cause he's going to want them.

• sopscientist says:

This is fantastic news! Congratulations. I agree with drugmonkey.... can't wait to read the Editor's blog

• Dave says:

I think this is a shame, personally. Can't see him having much influence on anything really, and I'd be surprised if he continues the Datahound blog.

• p.onberg says:

@Dave

I am surprised at your comment. I personally never met Jeremy Berg nor did I have any kind of interaction with him. But I know that he navigated the NIH rough waters with great integrity during his tenure, spoke his mind when the occasion required so in the best interest of science and the scientific community.

I must also say that I was very impressed when he started his Datahound
    blog, in service to the community, and he openly said who he was (something that very few people do). This is consistent with his trajectory, both scientific and as administrator, in which integrity and transparency have been the norm.

I congratulate Science for his appointment and wish him all the best in this new endeavor.

• datahound says:

Thanks, DM. Obviously, I need to figure out how I going to prioritize my new responsibilities, but I am sure continued data analysis with sharing and discussion will be part of the plan. It is hard to teach on old datahound new tricks.

• Hal says:

This is great news! Looking forward to AAAS rolling out the next Science sister journal Science Zinc Fingers.

• This is the greatest news I've heard in at least a month. At least.

Right? At least.