Second Thought of the Day

Mar 27 2016 Published by under #FWDAOTI

Some weaksauce low energy muppet just tried to shame me for being "easily amused".

Is that supposed to be cutting?

• Dr24 says:

"Differently humored" you monster.

• Pinko Punko says:

Is it getting darker than usual in here? And in a week where FC led another letter to Ed.

• Christina Pikas says:

I delight in being easily amused and hanging out with others who are, too. Quick story: as a midshipman on summer cruise (training for a few weeks) where we got to spend 1 week with marines, 1 with surface navy, 1 with air, and 1 with submarines... I was finally sitting down in air conditioning in a padded chair with rollers and swiveled waiting for a briefing... dude from Hahvahd was like "I am sooo bored".... I was just happy to be sitting in air conditioning!

• Philapodia says:

Those who can't easily see humor in any situation are dicks and are no fun to be around. There is no benefit to being serious all of the time. Hell, I got into science because it's fun to learn new things, not because I (as a young fledgling scientist) had an all-consuming passion to save the (planet / children /prairie dogs).

Smug self-righteousness is an abomination against science that should be scoured from this earth and sent back to the hell-fires whence it came!! Praise Alberts!

• Zuska says:

As a humorless hairy-legged feminazi, I cannot relate to this post at all.

• jmz4 says:

Just another pointless attempt by individuals to feel unique and special without having to actually be any of those things.

• Philapodia says:

"It's just another facet of elitism, where anything common (easy, in this case) is devalued relative to more niche items or sensibilities."

Yea, like saying that Justin Bieber isn't as good of a singer as Javier Camarena. How many groupies does Javier have? Not as many as the Beebs, I bet!

On a possibly related note...Boaty McBoatface: in favor or oppose?

• jmz4 says:

"Yea, like saying that Justin Bieber isn't as good of a singer as Javier Camarena."

@becca
    I think it was a foreseeable and agreeable outcome.

• Philapodia says:

"-more like saying Elvis Presley is worse than Carl Perkins because more people listen to Elvis. It may be true (or as close to it as a subjective evaluation can be) but your reasoning is unsound."

because I was being facetious, perhaps?

• jmz4 says:

Sorry, my sarcasm detector is wonky today.

• Philapodia says:

No worries, mate. Happens to the best of us!

• Grumble says:

Which muppet?

• The alternative is either that you are humorless or too dumb to get the joke, right?

You are totally misunderstanding this idiomatic expression. "You are easily amused" when intended as an insult means "your taste in amusements is simplistic, rather than sophisticated and refined".

That's what people who claim to enjoy Woody Allen movies try to assert. So I'm sticking with "humorless".

• The Other Dave says:

I think "easily amused" means: "Yes, I regularly read Drugmonkey's blog."

• k elliott says:

C'mon DM,

Be happy!. You sound like a good orchestra's conductor!

• Philapodia says:

@k elliott

I was hoping for something more like this:

This is sophisticated and refined, right? They have cellos!

• Philapodia says:

Gah! Stupid HTML tags!

• k elliott says:

Oh yeeeeees!. That's right except that the drum and paino are missing!!!. Hahahahahah

• bacillus says:

@DM. What was wrong with "Take the Money and Run"?

• iGrrrl says:

Being easily amused is a survival trait.

@DM. What was wrong with "Take the Money and Run"?

huh?

• bacillus says:

It's an old-school Woody Allen movie whose appeal lies in its highly unsophisticated, but funny comedy.

• banditokat says:

How can you have two thoughts in one day and none on other days? Isn't this alarming??

• Grumble says:

Speaking as someone who routinely has zero (or even fewer) thoughts for days in a row, I can say with certainty that it is not alarming at all, and in fact I am in awe of anyone who so clearly demonstrates the ability to have >1 thought per day.