Rockey Explains Indirect Costs

Oct 05 2015 Published by under NIH, NIH Budgets and Economics

• MorganPhD says:

I'd love to see the data behind the claims that indirects USED to lead to perverse incentives, but really don't anymore...

• UCProf says:

"Administrative costs are capped at 26%."

This is true for universities only, not research institutes.

So when you have a research institute associated with a university (Broad Institute at MIT) and the PIs all have appointments at both places, where do you suppose the grant gets awarded to?

From what I have seen it would appear that Universities increased their rate of major research building construction during the past decade. I don't think Rockey's intuition is correct on this. The perverse incentives are stronger, not weaker.

• Dave says:

The problem with new buildings is the depreciation and maintenance costs, which are paid for by IDC. I suppose this is 'fine' if the building is necessary, but I have certainly witnessed plenty of presidential vanity building in recent years.

• Grumble says:

Why the fucken fucke is this in the form of a 22 minute video, rather than an article I can scan in 30 seconds? Because Sally Fucking Rockey has nothing better to do with her time than to sit around making stupid videos? Or maybe she thinks everyone else has 22 minutes of their life to give to her. Hell no.

• DJMH says:

Aren't you going to summarize it for us? What do we pay you for, anyhow??

You pay me?

• Nat says:

Yeah, with my tax dollars.

*runs*

🙂

You have a point Nat.

• Nat says:

Well, I'm certainly happy that my tax dollars support not just your research, but in its fungible way, also your work on educating scientists about the reality of the profession. Especially in dealing with the shenanigans, fraud, and misaligned incentives that lead to crappy research. Because now I have to rely on and respond to that donkey poo as an industry scientist, when before I could ignore it more easily.

• dsks says:

Sally has it all arse about face at 13:19. The Federally funded basic scientists never get penthouse offices, that's where the clinicians should be; there and all the corner offices. And instructors don't even get to stay in their own building, man, they get a tent if they're lucky. Or more likely a trash bag next to the library.