Career truth from the Twitterz

Jun 02 2015 Published by under Academics

• MHC says:

couldn't agree more. treat yourself to champagne when the spectacular result appears/is confirmed, not when the manuscript describing it is accepted for publication.

• jmz4gtu says:

Yeah, it really is a great rush when something works, but you do have to have some sort of craving to get it published or you'll never follow through on all the odds and ends required to make really double sure of something. That's the tough part for me, especially when your PI wants to put it out there when you're not 100% sure it is real.

I actually get most excited about the planning. Finding the right controls/mutants/antibodies/drugs. Positive or negative results don't matter to me so much as being sure that I'm right.

• Dave says:

That's advice for someone who wants to be a permadoc. End of.

• qaz says:

Very true. It's the blammo results that we live for. Those are the ones that make us get up in the morning. But without also having the social drive to communicate what you've discovered, you'll never write the paper. Lament for the results lost in the file drawers of science!

The truth is that only the permadoc gets to live the lab life. A true PI has to see beyond the lab.

• scitrigrrl says:

I'm with @MHendr1cks ALL the way. Papers are nice, but DATA?! DATA is my crack.
    (Especially when I'm in my office which sometimes feels like a long way from the bench).

• physioprof says:

This is problematic if you use the high of "NEW DATA!!!11!!11!" as a distraction for procrastination from what matters: publishing data. Because until it is published, your data may as well not exist except as personal masturbation fantasy wank-fodder.

• dsks says:

"DATA is my crack."

Word, although as a result I'm terrible for needing that instant hit. Drug on, response, N=1, and "Next cell!". I have respect for the patience and reserve of behavioural geeks who can calmly wait months for an experiment to reach completion and provide data.

I simply could not handle that trip.

• zb says:

"That's advice for someone who wants to be a permadoc. End of."

This would be OK, if there was such a position as permadoc. There have always been people who are more interested in acquiring the data, the moment when *they* know something the rest of the world doesn't know. 'tis true that if the science stopped at that point, only the independently wealthy should do science (since otherwise, who ever is paying has a right to know about it, too).

But a system that prioritizes the communication and the social drive over the discovery will fail in the ultimate goals, too. And, I do see a system that puts temporary, up and out, students and post-docs into the role of producing the discoveries, and the only desirable position (i.e. PI) into the role of communicator will result in failures (fraudulent science being on point of failure).

• Namaste_Ish says:

I have an uncomfortable visual of physio prof analyzing data now.

• Masked Avenger says:

I gave up the data-buzz for money. I'm much happier, I sleep every night, and my creativity is focused in other more rewarding directions.

I win. 🙂