Thought of the Day

Oct 13 2013 Published by under Uncategorized

Brunch is not a definitional adult behavior.

Brunch may possibly be a transitional step towards maturity. I suppose when you stop being out so late and/or so drunk on Saturday night that you arise when it is still morning this seems like maturity.

True adulthood involves not really having time for "brunch" when you've been up since six like other adults.

nonsense. eating like a hobbit is a god given right. Trust me, were you waking up at 3:30 for a shift, you'd be eating second breakfast or brunch every freaking day. #sohangry

• lylebot says:

For someone with a lot of good ideas about the career of science, you sure have a lot of weird ideas about adulthood. /just back from brunch with wife and daughter

• Bam294 says:

The only reason for an adult to be up at 6 am on a weekend is if you're in prison or partying from the night before. If those don't apply, you are doing something very wrong.

• GMP says:

Bam294, WTF?
    Little children don't give a fuck that it's Sunday because they have no concept of it or, once they start getting the concept, they may get up on Sunday even earlier than usual in order to maximize playtime with mom and dad.

• Far be it from me that I would say what would be an appropriate time to get up on a weekend (other than remind people that "catching up" on sleep is a physiological myth), but as an early riser on weekends myself, what annoys me more than the idea of brunch is restaurants that claim to serve "breakfast" but don't open until 9 or 10 o'clock in the morning. That is *not* breakfast. I want to eat breakfast at the *latest* at 7 so I can get on with my day.

• DJMH says:

*This* is your thought of the day? Not, say, that the GOP's procedural rule changes to make it *harder* to bring a clean CR in even if the Senate should pass one, means that we are really going to plunge off this cliff of crazy??

• gingerest says:

Oh, shut up. Not everyone's body clock prefers mornings; not everyone works the hours their body clocks like best or society deems appropriate. If there weren't evening shift workers, hospitals would shut down at 3PM, and you'd have to fight your way through a thick layer of stockers to get to the grocery shelves, after taking vacation time for your shopping. The least society can do is let them have a lie-in and some brunch.
    You, my in-laws, and Benjamin Franklin can go suck an egg, with your "getting up early is what virtuous grownups do" bullshit.

Jonathan Badger- "breakfast" does not mean literally "breaking ones fast" alone. No, it is a state of being. A delicious omelet/pancake/waffle/hashbrown/high calories are relatively healthy go ahead and add a dollop of whipped cream to your coffee state of being. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm breakfast...

gingerest- I say this as someone who is up now (at 4:05) and has to leave for work to open the swimming pool for those psudeo-virtuous motherfuckers who bang down the doors at 5 am because they never learned to SHARE in kindergarten and they are all terrified of having to be in a lane with someone else- AMEN. A-Fucking men. Look, some of us HAVE to get up early (been there with a newborn, am there now for the job). Do not listen to the lies of the Privileged By Circadian Rhythm Smug Smarminess of Jackhattery. Being up at bullshit o clock is NOT a sign of adulthood, virtue, being efficient/effective, or moral fortitude. It is a sign something is horribly, horribly wrong in your life.

• AcademicLurker says:

I have no deep thoughts about brunch, so I'll go ahead and derail the thread with an idle question.

Recently, my inbox has been filling up with ads for "Tips for writing your NIH proposal", "Seminar on successful strategies for getting your RO1 funded" & etc. I know such things have always existed, but it's only in the last few months that it's become a full-on artillery barrage of spam.

Has anyone else noticed this? My theory is that the palpable sense of desperation among investigators has come to the attention of the grifting classes and they've started looking for a way to cash in.

One more indication of the NIH-ocalypse I guess.

• mobydick says:

Brunch is for little girls

• Lee says:

Brunch has nothing to do with the transition, or lack thereof, to adulthood. However, the love of brinner says a lot about your maturity.

• Grumble says:

Brunch? Are you serious? Is this the next step in the PhysioProff-ization of this blog? You know, posting useless rants that nobody gives a flying fuck about, just because you have a blog page and you can tell the world whenever one of your cortical synapses releases some glutamate? Sheesh. At least Proffe has recipes.

This is even worse than mental masturbation about whether you should list your goddamn paper as "in submission" or "under review".

Recently, my inbox has been filling up with ads for "Tips for writing your NIH proposal", "Seminar on successful strategies for getting your RO1 funded" & etc..... My theory is that the palpable sense of desperation among investigators has come to the attention of the grifting classes and they've started looking for a way to cash in.

Did you get mine yet?

Is this the next step in the PhysioProff-ization of this blog?

Errrr....how should I break it to you....

• AcademicLurker says:

Did you get mine yet?

Actually, I think PhysioProff might be able to make a side business out of this kind of thing. A sort of combination cooking show, standup comedy routine and grantsmanship seminar. With plenty of profanity and booze.

• Grumble says:

Ya mean CPP hasn't posted anything useful since 2010? I already knew that.

(Not that I'm complaining. I don't have a blog, or access to someone's blog, and therefore have never posted anything useful on it.)

• Jekka says:

"like other adults", holy crap. As if having babies that get up early makes you an adult.

Brunch is awesome, you are a cranky-pants. We just call it "second breakfast" in our house, what kid isn't happy to eat breakfast food 5 meals a day?

• Origami Isopod says:

…or, you know, you could just be a self-righteous alimentary terminus who mistakes his own preferences and prejudices for What's Right and Moral. It's fairly common.

Anyway, when I'm up late this weekend burning one or having a few drinks, I'll think of you. Also when I get up after 9 a.m.