Thought of the Day II

Apr 03 2013 Published by under Day in the life of DrugMonkey

Never, ever pay one bit of attention to what any artist has to say about his or her creation. They don't know anything about it either and their insight is just made up bullshit. Just enjoy the damn thing for what it means to you.

• Bill Hooker says:

Varies from artist to artist. Anecdata: I liked Mondrian's abstracts a lot more once I had read a bit about what he was trying to do. Something "clicked" and I looked at the pictures differently, somehow. That was how I started to appreciate abstract painting in general. (Not claiming to be any kind of expert, mind you. Just sayin'.)

Corollary- never read discussion sections.

• Ola says:

I would dispute this in the case of music - the artist's insight can be very useful in trying to determine WTH they're on about. Examples would include REM's "Call me Cheryl Baker" lyric, and Lady Gaga's line about "Grandma-ma-ma-ma, Roma oo-la-la". And Coldplay -what on earth are their lyrics about? Definitely need some liner-notes there.

Now, if'n you're talking sculpturists and abstract life forms and Jackson Pollock messes, then I'm right there with you - no amount of pontificating can account for that stuff.

• Dr Becca says:

I had the same experience with Mondrian as Bill Hooker, also for Sol LeWitt. Sometimes the logic of the process makes sense, and it can change and enhance how you see it. But not all art has to be logical--like you say, DM, for the most part it's about what you personally see and feel (and for the record, I don't see "messes" when I look at Jackson Pollock paintings).

exactly, becca, exactly.

• Ola says:

So I guess corollary to Dr. Becca & DM's response, that means your papers should always present the results in such a manner as to be self evident, without requiring any explanatory notes. Some of us can only dream of doing such obvious science.

Explanatory notes are there for graduate students, Ola.

• The other Dave says:

As someone who has actually studied art and worked as professional artist before turning to science (with tenure and plenty of federal funding), I think your thought is insulting arrogant and ignorant.

But hey -- don't pay attention to what you think I meant by that. Just pay attention to how it makes you feel. It's all about you, dude.

True, what you meant is irrelevant- the author is dead and all that remains is the text. But the text has independent / intrinsic meaning that art does not.