Pick 'em

When people opine:

"You have to pick your battles"

it isn't that I disagree. Really.

I just always want to know,

"So which battle *did* you pick?"

For some reason this is not well received.

• Dr. O says:

My picks - the battles that I think I have a chance of winning, or that my moral compass says I must fight.

• Pascale says:

Before you pick a battle, ask yourself if this is a ditch you wish to die in. If not, you probably don't want to fight.

• GMP says:

I just always want to know,
    “So which battle *did* you pick?”
    For some reason this is not well received

LOL -- of course it's not. While "You have to pick your battles" is true, saying it is really a patronizing cliche that can be thrown at someone even if you have no freakin' idea what the problem entails. The fact that you had a follow-up question means you've called them on the BS. People tend not to like that.

• CoR says:

Except that some of us actively pick our battles. I am drawing up ze list....right now.

Battles I pick:
    1) ones that my moral compass says someone must fight, and no one else is doing it better.
    2) ones that my moral compass says it'd be nice if someone fought, and I can do so while having some net positive effect on the universe, my own well being (both zen peace and exhilaration of #FWDAOTI ect. factored in)
    3) ones that my moral compass says nothing on, but that happen to benefit me (including entertainment factor)
    4) (if I'm honest) ones that my moral compass says I probably shouldn't fight, but I just can't help but play devil's advocate out of sheer orneriness

• Usually the battles I've picked are the ones in which I've later gotten my ass chewed out by someone higher up who thought I shouldn't have picked THAT particular battle. Usually because it resulted in them having to deal with fallout and/or gave them a headache.

I'd contend that it saved them a much bigger headache in the long run, but people really don't tend to look beyond the day to day.

• Kaija says:

Nail hit...the "you have to pick your battles" types that have thrown that at me are usually those who can't be arsed to have an opinion about much or to get up off the couch very often. OR they are chickenshits who don't want to DO anything lest someone criticize or disagree. However, choosing to do nothing is, in fact, making a choice about something.

• Muammar Kaddafi says:

I prefer to pick battles in which I can make use of artillery and air power, since my opponents are rather low on that. However, my son tells me that they're about to get reinforcements. Curses!

• In one case, Mr owl got the response "animal rights in China".

• Isabel says:

Standing up for the hated, mocked, and scapegoated lower class white Americans. Why- because of my sense of fairness. And because of my absolute rage that the worst offenders are the loudest and most sanctimonious proponents of liberal progressive values. And I suppose because of my own guilt for not speaking up sooner in defense of my own people.

Many think I should give up because people are laughing at me and calling me vile names.

But there is a method to my madness. I am allowing them to reveal their own hatreds, prejudices and most of all, their cowardice.

You should probably make sure the opponent is not, in objective reality, a windmill, o Isabella de La Mancha

• lilbro says:

To isabel: Ever thought for a second that the apparent sad status of "lower class white American" might be lower class not because of the success of any other minority group but their own f***ng stupidity in voting or promoting interests that keep them uneducated and hence un-empowered ? Even uneducated masses in other democracies will vote out incumbents if they feel their interests dont get represented by whom they elected, but not here in the US of A. Just wave a Bible and say that taxing the rich is against the spirit of the country. And you think they are mocked without reason ? I say they are not shamed enough to snap out of their sheep mentality.

• Isabel says:

"might be lower class not because of the success of any other minority group"

No one here EVER suggested that was the reason. I have made it clear I think it's mostly the "fault" of the UPPER CLASSES. Perhaps you are projecting your own prejudices?

"but their own f***ng stupidity i"

oh, okay. Got it.

• anon says:

I just like how all of you are talking and Isabel actually picked a battle right here. Pretty funny...

• Isabel says:

I picked a battle? I simply followed the rules of the post. Someone else picked a battle:

"To isabel: Ever thought for a second that the apparent sad status of “lower class white American” might be lower class not because of the success of any other minority group but their own f***ng stupidity in...blah blah"

I only engaged the idiot briefly to clear my name: I never said such a thing. That stupid comment is actually the OPPOSITE of EVERYTHING I have said!