What's cookin? Slow-cooker split pea soup.

Nov 27 2010 Published by under Food, Parenthood

Every since the infamous recipe war between Dr. Isis and PhysioProf, I kept meaning to get into RecipesForTheRestOfUs. Those of us who can't find the time to actually cook gourmet multi-course extravaganzas anymore. Yesterday, I made this, which is simplicity itself in the CrockPot / slow cooker.

16 oz of split peas, pick em over a little in a strainer and toss 'em in the pot

~5 cloves of garlic (slightly smooshed, naturally)
-1 cup of chopped onion
-1 large carrot halved lengthwise and sliced
I browned these items lightly in a frying pan and tossed them in

1/2 c cubed ham

fresh sage and fresh oregano- I didn't put enough in I think- ~6 sage leaves torn up & similar volume of oregano.

1/2 tsp salt (and then I leave the black pepper to personal taste)

add quart of chicken stock, half quart of water

5.5-6 hrs on high did the trick

I like it smooshed up a bit so give it a vigorous stirring if that's your preference.

• Dr Becca says:

Yum! Split pea soup is the best. I like it all creamy, so I purée, but save some ham to toss in after.

• GMP says:

We need a picture!

• hat_eater says:

Thanks, I'll try this one! I always add dried marjoram to the split pea soup - it's a traditional recipe in Poland. I heard marjoram helps in digestion of legumes and that's why it is added to most dishes that contain a lot of them. I wonder if it's true.

oh, well, if you are actually going to make it, I might as well fess up. I snuck in some crushed red pepper too. maybe a half teaspoon or so. The plan is to give it a *tiny* kick without anyone knowing for sure that's what you put in it. :-)

• Where's the fucken picture, fuckewadde?

What picture? Unlike some people I don't habitually photograph every meal I make... :-/

• Karen says:

I'm trying it; I tweaked it a bit (cut down on the garlic and added some chopped celery), and I'm cooking it on the stove. But the kitchen smells delicious!

Celery is an abomination before the Lord, but otherwise w00t! Hope it turns out tasty. Send PP a picture so he'll get off my jock, will ya?

• Karen says:

Update: delicious.

• Karen says:

It doesn't need a picture! It's just good, old-fashioned, everybody's-had-it split pea soup!

• Kaija says:

You inspired me...I'm making some split pea soup this evening, though on the stove rather in the slow cooker, but I will definitely try the crockpot method next time around! :)