Remember James Sherley?

Aug 24 2010 Published by under Science Politics, Underrepresented Groups

Remember the case of James Sherley? Tenure denial fight featuring all kinds of unpleasantness. Claims that his program was crippled by lack of space and other resources. Hints of politico-religious stuff involving the stem cell field he worked in?

Well juniorprof noticed something interesting about the recent lawsuit against the Obama administration's stance on stem cells.

• juniorprof says:

Dude, apparently you're so distracted by your data WOOTang that your links no worky-worky. Come on, I need some blog hits and nothing brings 'em in like a DM link.

that's the iPhone wordpress app, jp. doesn't seem to do links.

• Miles says:

Perhaps my memory has exaggerated things, but I recall in the commentary on the tenure fight, that at some point he told his colleagues that they were going to hell because of their stem cell work.

He seems like a pleasure to work with.

I also have the perception that his advancing of certain kinds of stem cell work over other kinds seemed to align with his apparent religious views. I wonder if that was a misperception or if he's changed now, or if there is a remaining sense that his objections in this case are driven as much by religious views as they are by professional complaints about winning grant awards.

• biosciences grad says:

I was an undergrad at MIT, and Sherley came to talk with our biomedical ethics class about how horrible stem cell research was. A grade-A douchebag, even five years ago.

Sherley may be the *normal* co-plaintiff http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2010/jun/10060312.html