The Readership Demographic Poll Surprised Me

Well, there is always something new and interesting in the data, isn't there? From the recent poll of readers, I note a couple of results that interested me.
-In the first poll on nonFederal oppression categories, I was amazed to find Friend of Charles Darwin selected so frequently. I mean, we kinda make fun of those people round these parts. If'n I was a betting man I might suspect a little bit of poll crash shenanigans...858 multivotes scored versus 194 on the single-option gender poll as of this writing? On average you were selecting 4 for this poll? hmm, could be I suppose...
-In the second poll on gender identification the numbers for male/female ran about equal- 49% male to 46% female as of this writing. Interesting mostly by way of comparison with the audience of Dr. Isis the Scientist which is polling 71% female / 28% male as of this writing.
-The third poll on ethnic and racial identification was my main interest.

We've all heard of the digital divide and reviewed the general online demographics. We all know about the dismal lack of representation in science, the scientific blogosphere in general and the pronounced whiteness of ScienceBlogs specifically.

WhiteBloggers.jpg
The
original source has been taken down. I would like to say this gives an out of date* impression of SB blogger demographics, but sadly it does not.
Even allowing for multiracial folks to select all that apply..whew. 6 (4%) Hispanic or Latino? 4 (2%) Black? Within a presumptively bioscience focused audience only 9 (4%) identify as Asian? Dr. Isis' poll found more or less the same thing.
I kinda knew this but to see the specific data for my readership makes it pretty salient.
__
*many of those picture here are no longer blogging at Sb.

• Jdhuey says:

Do you have any speculation on what causes the selection bias leading to de-pigmented bloggers?

• Greg Laden says:

Hmmm.. I was shocked by the lack of "Hispanic" readers at Isis, because I thought she was all about being an hispanic roll model, etc. but ovearll these numbers are pretty much what one would expect.
    Having said that, it needs to be kept in mind that these data are unreliable and useless. Anybody could have spammed this poll. I did not check but in most cases it is either possible to vote more than once or to erase a cookie and vote more than once.
    It would be interesting to do a poll that was methodologically valid.

• El Picador says:

I can't wait until the black* ScienceBloggers Laden and Pharmboy run their own polls, myself.
    It would be interesting to do a poll that was methodologically valid.
    On a blog? HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (*in the Bill Clinton sense)

Sure, low incidence in the science blogosphere, generally, combined with lack of any particular institutional interest in diversity. There was that little Jim Watson problem awhile ago but I have no direct evidence there is any specific antipathy towards bloggers of color from an institutional perspective.
    I will note that this is certainly not due to any lack of awareness of where the obviously diversity-minded bloggers stand on this issue. Abel, Isis and I make it pretty damn clear right on-blog, for example.

• Funky Fresh says:

Isis is clearly not "an hispanic roll model."

• John McKay says:

How does the gender and racial breakdown of SciBlog readers and bloggers compare to the numbers for science grad school enrollment and practicing scientists?

• John McKay says:

PS - I suppose Isis's hispanic rolls have to served smoking hot.

• All American Asshat says:

Did Greg come around just to act douchey?

• Greg Laden says:

It is funny that when I do make the rare comment here or at Isis' blog, suddenly it becomes all about me. I've always had that effect on sock puppets.
    Maybe I should say what I stopped myself from saying above. Or maybe not. Wouldn't make much difference, really.

Greg, people only pay attention to you here because I read you sometimes.

• Greg Laden says:

I know, Becca, and I appreciate that.
    Can't wait to see you this weekend! Hey, you bring the potato salad, I'll bring the goats...

• anonymous says:

Taking about diversity ( income diversity)
    I just saw an announcement released by NIA on:
    "Hypothermia: Staying Safe in Cold Weather" with very sound preventative tips for older adults. The announcement also alerts about:
    “Because heating costs are high, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has funds to help low-income families pay their heating bills. For more information, contact the National Energy Assistance Referral (1-866-674-6327) or the Eldercare Locator (1-800-677-1116).”
    I just wonder if low income families have a computer and access the NIA/NIH web site to be aware of this important assistance for them. Is it announced directly in their communities ?