Wondering what your RC1 score and percentile means?

Jul 29 2009 Published by under LinkLove, NIH Budgets and Economics

Apparently the scores for those hurriedly prepared RC1 applications are starting to appear and boy o boy is everyone perplexed about outcome. No fear....writedit to the rescue!
The comments following writedit's post "RC1 Scores & Remaining Review Procedures" are off the hook. Scores and percentiles galore!

• This is the motherfucking best comment at Writedit EVAH:

Bear with me, I’m new to this.
    I submitted 4 challenge grant applications.

This fuckwad is "new to this", and submitted four motherfucking challenge grant applications!?!?!?!?!?!? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• me scientist says:

Thanks for the link to the post. I'd not seen it. Good to see other's experiences

I'd not seen it.
    writedit's place is essential reading...right after DM of course.

• Ava says:

"Bear with me, I'm new to this. I submitted 4 challenge grant applications"
    CPP - the above quote was written/submitted to Writedit's blog by 'Grant Writer.'
    Smells like a hired gun to me.

• Pain Man says:

simple: 4 postdocs = 4 RC1s.

• realist says:

This is exactly the problem with the stimulus. Its paying out R01s that couldn't cut it to begin with and the Challenge Grant lottery is essentially rewarding half-baked ideas that won't pan out, but will definitely enter the competition in 1-2 years for R01 funding. The net result will be paylines falling off a cliff. The intentions of the stimulus may have been well-meaning, but the results will be disasterous. They need policy people to figure out that the wild fluctuations in NIH spending are what's killing science/morale. A slow-steady budget is much preferable.

• BubbleBuster says:

If the NIH were going to distribute a paltry 200m then why didn't they have a one PI = one RC1 rule to begin with? At my institute many, many labs had their postdocs submit one just because they could and it was set up as a lottery. Hell, I am a f*^*ng postdoc and I submitted one (albeit without any co-PIs or letters of support and my boss didn't submit one).