Many of you Readers were very generous during October's DrugMonkey Blog Reader Challenge as a part of the other ScienceBlogs' participation in the DonorsChoose.org Bloggers Challenge.
I recently received some very nice notes and I thought I would share them. (The blurbs are from the teachers' original requests)
PrinterCamera300.jpg

"I am teaching in a special education classroom, specifically serving children with autism. This classroom is a center-based, self-contained classroom with students in 3rd and 4th grades. The students in my room are severely affected by autism, and are living in a high-needs community.
Our classroom is in need of a digital camera and a color printer with accessories, to support our students need for visual structure within the classroom. We do not have easy access to a color printer or a digital camera in our school due to lack of funding. Students with autism rely on visual structure within the classroom, without access to these things it is difficult to provide accurate and real-life stimuli.

SportEquip500.jpg

"Have you ever been in a room with twenty five-year-olds for up to six hours a day? Well...my students are kindergarteners enrolled in a full-day program. They are from a low-income urban community.
My students are faced with many environmental obstacles that are beyond their control. Since we stress such a demanding curriculum, my students need a little break from the academics and just need time to get all that energy out! My students have shown great interest in jumping rope and handball. We have been very resourceful, and we share equipment with seven other kindergarten classes, but it can be very difficult with limited resources.

...and thanks to you donors who participated in one or more of the challenges.

• juniorprof says:

This is too cool! And it so happens that I just got a new color printer and my old one, which is just fine (and I have ink) could be shipped to them. Put me in contact and I'll send it, if they still need it.

• This is really beautiful, Brother Drug. You boys should be very proud of the money you raised. I am so thankful to have been able to be a small contributor to the effort.

• neurolover says:

I got thank you notes for the DNA machine (yeah, I don't really know what one is). They were sweet, in a different way, since they're from teenagers. My daughter read all the notes, and enjoyed them too.
    I still think that such a mechanism might have value for raising small grants for scientist 🙂

I wonder if the children asked interesting questions about who "DrugMonkey" was?
    The one who portrayed a jump-roping banana with lemons, especially.

ah, leave it to becca to stick a thumb in a bit of a sore spot...
    yeah, the blog title is a bit sticky when it comes to interacting at the primary and secondary school level. whether it comes to things like donor's choose or teachers using anything here as a resource on drugs.
    the potential connotations of the name were brought home to me by one of Zuska's reader-meetup participants in the video she posted....

• neurolover says:

JP -- I don't think Donors Choose accepts in kind donations (of equipment). But, in our state, donation directly to a K-12 school from the public university is quite transparent (you can surplus things directly). So, I'd suggest looking around for a school in your neighborhood that might appreciate the printer, and better yet, offer some assistance getting it set up. The problem with in kind donations is that they're often more trouble to get working than the donation itself (lack of manuals, the ink problems you point out, and so on). It can work, but it requires some input from the donatee.

"ah, leave it to becca to stick a thumb in a bit of a sore spot..."
    It's a gift.
    I was pseudononymous for years on the internets, and went through many iterations of embarrassing monikers. Trust me, the names I chose made "drugmonkey" sound very tame and elementary school-appropriate. Anyway, it seems to me that 'drugmonkey' could set a very useful tone for interacting with a certain class of highschooler (like the kind that select naughty double entendre monikers for their chat identities).

• Being part of this was really cool, DM. Thanks for what you do for this effort.