A Dream Realized

Nov 04 2008 Published by under General Politics

Thank you all. Thank you- all of you that fought and bled and died so that we could have this hour of this day.

• Great victory speech by President-Elect Obama.

• Yes we can. Yes we can. He is amazing. I hope he is able to bring the change.

That we can bring change ScientistMother, we.

• dajokr says:

I have the opportunity to be writing this morning from the former site of the primary segregated black high school in a medium-sized Southern city. I've met several graduates of that school who never believed this day would be possible. I cannot imagine the joy they feel today, nor the sorrow and reverence for those long gone who paved the way.

• ---"That we can bring change ScientistMother, we."---
    Absolutely, DM.
    Obama's flagship quote (that headed his website all along) has been, "I'm asking you to believe. Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington...I'm asking you to believe in yours".
    BTW, I am incredibly happy to report that Indiana's 11 electoral votes went to President-elect Obama. If that ain't already change, I don't know what is!

• Yay!!!!! I'm so happy that this country has pulled its head out of its ass and is ready to move on. I have such hope for things to come.

• S. Rivlin says:

Electing Obama as the 44th President of the USA won't make the assholes that have ruled over us for the past eight years disappear. They may have their butts kicked, but they are still lurking and some of them have been re-elected, like Michelle Bachmann of MN. Sarah Palin has gone back to Alaska to hibernate for a while, but she will be back as ignorant and as arrogant as she has been in the past two months. Joe the plumber will probably run for Congress in two years, Proposition 8 in CA was approved and the South is still full of bigots and skinheads.
    We must begin our drive for change in our kindergardens and schools. Ignorance has almost destroyed us with W. in the White House and unless we all work together to defeat it, we may still see a Paline/Joe the plumber presidency.

• drdrA says:

I wept.
    It was breathtaking moment.

• Becca says:

April 4th, 1968. A dream deferred...
    November 4th, 2008. It EXPLODED.

• Stunning his win in Indiana, commanding those in PA, FL, OH, historical that in VA, plus a loss by a squeaker in MO (75000 votes for Nader... sigh) and a very competitive race in MT (of all places)... all places where the last democratic candidate was thrashed. Altogether eight hundred thousand votes more than those garnered by Bush in 2004... I just hope that Obama's PR machine is as good as his electoral one.

• BikeMonkey says:

Two Words: Man Date!!!!

• marilove says:

And now to continue to fight the good fight for civil rights. Prop 8 and Prop 102 (in California) and Arkansas banning GAY ADOPTION (!) has really upset me, but Obama's win has also inspired me. Things WILL change.

• I think we need to be realistic. Those old enough to remember what happened to Bill Clinton during his first six months in office, when he was literally under assault from the "liberal" press, labeled like a failure twenty-four hours after his inauguration, criticized for just about anything (including his haircut -- even Chelsea was fair game), should be willing to cut Obama some slack.
    He's going to have to start slow, or we may be in for a repeat of the 1994 "republican revolution" in 2010. At least initially he'll have to appease the conservatives, which, even when they are at the opposition, remain largely in control of the political discourse. Don't be surprised if his cabinet is more centrist than we wish.
    One crucial thing is to be absolutely relentless in reminding the public of what kind of situation his administration has inherited.

• juniorprof says:

Like DrdrA I wept, and I still am whenever a pic of the Chicago event flashes on screen. Hopefully this will not be a permanent change because it could become cumbersome at some point. Nov 4, 2008 will always be one of the great days of my life.