Blog Bid'ness: Commenter Appreciation Prizes

Sep 19 2008 Published by under Blogging

TshirtBack1.jpgSince joining Scienceblogs about 8 months ago, I have been amazed and gratified by the readership, and particularly the commentariat. Although the opportunity to reach a larger audience was the major driver in taking this step, I have been finding that you all are even more vigorous discussants than I would have expected. Discussants with a diversity of excellent and informed viewpoints which I find provide me with much interesting information and valuable insight.
For that I thank you.

I've been mulling over a way to extend a more tangible appreciation and have come up with a way to do so. As of this moment, I'm running a highly informal Commenter Appreciation Contest. What this means is that whenever it strikes my fancy that a comment is particularly deserving (or a commenter particularly deserving for sustained excellence) I will issue a small token of appreciation from cafepress.
CapTshirt1.jpgIn case anyone wishes to fly our flag there will be some rudimentary schwag, but the gift certificate should be valid for any cafepress expenditures such as for A Blog Around the Clock or "blog" or your favorite political issue.
Updating List of Sb shops:
A Blog Around the Clock
Adventures in Ethics and Science
Deltoid (it IS Deltoid...but not from the Sb Deltoid)
Discovering Biology in a Digital World
DrugMonkey
Greg Laden's Blog
OmniBrain
On Becoming a Domestic and Laboratory Goddess

• RunnyLeggo says:

Will winners be announced?

• Personally I think I should be awarded on immediately, simply for being the first to ask!:)

• I concur! Schwag for scientistmother!

ahem.

• River Tam says:

Dudes...really? DrugMonkey is SO above such petty manipulation. Is there nothing you have learned from this venable blog about the deep intelligence and insight into human nature that DrugMonkey possesses? How pitiful.

• Will kissing ass do the trick?
    (I'll take a small shirt please.)

I am impervious to ass kissing and petty manipulation based on my nonexistent ego, sorry. I am a sucker for hilarious smack talking however.

• I think that DrugMonkey and PhysioProf are absolute geniuses who have revolutionized sciencey-type blogging. And you're both obviously handsome devils as well ... *swoon*.
    Wait, getting a shirt means sucking up to PhysioProf? You can totally count me out. I've got enough crap to wash my car with as it.

• Wait, getting a shirt means sucking up to PhysioProf? You can totally count me out.
    Dr Isis: I didn't want him to feel left out, particularly as he's still reeling from your twin recipe war victories. DrugMonkey's obviously got the hotter bod of the two of them anyway.

• PM says:

I would gladly wear a women's size small shirt with black cap-sleeves to SFN. I can also present my poster in it too, if requested.

• PiT, fair enough. I bet DM is totally hawt!

• PM says:

Of course, thanks to strategic SFN name tag placement the "Drugmonkey" part of the shirt might be obscured.
    "Of COURSE I wasn't looking at your chest. I was trying to see the URL.."

• Frankly, I am shocked - shocked, I tell ya - at all of this pandering and sexist commentary toward these fine and scholarly gentlemen. When will men in science ever be appreciated for their intelligence, creativity, and dedication to mentoring instead of their HOT BODZ!!1!1!!1!?
    I vote PM FTW with: "Of COURSE I wasn't looking at your chest. I was trying to see the URL.." In fact, that might be a good tagline for DrugMonkey v2.0 shirts.
    Speaking of SfN, why don't we all wear our DM shirts and walk up to the NIDA/NIAAA/NIMH booth and watch the program officers convulse!

• Yes, I'd like more people to read my shirt and ask me whether I perchance have a secret blogging life. Pseudonymity, pschmeudonymity!

• Becca says:

"I am a sucker for hilarious smack talking however."
    At long last, I can use Becca's Excellent Smackdowns (tm) are for fun and profit!
    DM, Thank You. I think you've helped me find my calling. *wipes tears*

• anonymous says:

Well, I'm worried by the overt political overtones on this post DM - I thought that was PP's job. "Fly our flag" my arse. We aren't even all Americans- that's right- I'll fly my own flag thanks... .but yes I enjoy lurking on your blog when I'm not reading How to use 43 folders. Looking forward to the next trillion posts. An anonymous Kiwi

anonKiwi: That would be the metaphorical "flag" which you may freely replace with "logo" if you like.
    DrJ: secret blogreading life, no reason that you have to be a blogger is there?
    Abel: naughty, naugh....hmmmm.

one lingering thought. I need a valid email to prize you.
    also, while I have no problem at all with the sock monkey fans, it pretty much rules out me choosing you for sustained excellence if I can't recognize it all as coming from one person.

• DM - you can email details of my "prize" to trainingprofessor@gmail.com
    Thanks to you and your hot bod 🙂

• DM, I would like to offer a heartelt endorsement for the quality of your schwag. Today I was wearing my prized DM hoodie and one of the Isis children pooed all over it. I mean a healthy, messy poo. A little Shout, a wash, and that hoodie is back in business.
    Here's to top of the line DM schwag!

• That's not awesome. That's disgusting. No one wants to know about other people's poops.

• juniorprof says:

I agree with CPP. Juniorprof is NOT ready for fatherhood!

hahahahhaahaha! That's the great thing about kids. Every freakin disgusting and inappropriate topic is magically made 'cute'!!!

• pinus says:

I spent a 30 minutes cleaning dog poop out of my shoe tonight.
    Why is it that dog poop is not magically cute like baby poop?

• Umm, no. Your kid's poop may be "cute" in your addled mind. But no one else wants to hear about it.
    Last I checked, this blog was called DrugMonkey, not PoopMonkey. In fact, we do have some fucked-ass blog here at ScienceBlogs called PoopSomething. There's a reason why no one reads it.

• That's totally awesome. (especially given what I was just cleaning out of the bathtub...)

That is the one thing that really gets to me -- poop in the bathtub. Baby Isis did it once and I almost had to call in Mr. Isis to handle it. Almost.

PP, since becoming a mother I am painfully aware of when everyone in my house poos.

• Dr. Feelgood says:

My DrugMonkey totebag is the envy of all my laboratory gnomes. I will endeavour to comment at a sufficently entertaining level to garner a gift certificate worthy of the the Drugmonkey butt-plug and nimple clamp set I've been eyeing on Cafe Press.
    Dr. F

• Dr. Feelgood says:

Errrr....nimple.....I really should use that "preview" function more..... now I am not sure if it was nipple or pimple....
    Dr. F

• Um, Dr. Feelgood, (if that is your real name,) I know what a nipple clamp is for. I have no idea how a pimple clamp would work. Would you care to elaborate?