A total coincidence that the character on the shirt is a monkey

May 13 2008 Published by under General Politics, Racist Idiots

Kevin Beck points to this article from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Apparently some genius in Marietta is selling a shirt with the following logo out of his store and (gasp) some people find this just the teeensiest bit offensive.

obamonkey.jpg
Among [Norman's] recent musings: "I wish Hillary had married OJ," "No habla espanol -- and never will" and the standard "I.N.S. Agents eat free."[Source]

Norman said those offended are "hunting for a reason to be mad" and insisted he is "not a racist."
Norman said he sees nothing wrong with depicting Obama as Curious George. "Look at him . . . the hairline, the ears, he looks just like Curious George," Norman said. He said he did not design the shirts himself but bought them through a Web site.
He said he views it as just coincidence that the character on the T-shirt is a monkey. Norman also said proceeds raised from sales will be donated to the Muscular Dystrophy Association.

There's a point here which is the A J-C site is running a poll that is at this writing running 48.5% "It's racist" against 51.5% "It's fine".
You know, in case you wanted to express an opinion or anything.
UPDATE: Weigh in from John Lynch, PalMD, Marietta local Jeremy Bruno, Greg Laden and of course PZ called in the squiddos to do some real poll crashing.

• Art says:

It appears to be a depiction of Curious George from the PBS children's program featuring "the man in the yellow hat".
    Copywrite infringement?

• goofy says:

I don't condone it, but the guy's clearly found a market. And thanks to the intarweb he's got even more publicity. The only way to stop him is to sic the lawyers representing the Curious George franchise on him.

• Ian says:

This is going to seem like good taste when the mud starts getting flung in an actual presidential race if Obama is the Dem candidate. Be prepared. There are no limits to what desperate people will do.

• juniorprof says:

What's going on here commentors? We can't just come out and say that this shit is totally fucking racist?
    The shirt is racist. The people that made it are racist and the guy selling it in his bar is racist.
    And Ian, if Republican's want to come out in the fall and make a case for McCain by making racist remarks or slinging racist mud at Obama I dare them. It will backfire to such a degree that it will (finally, thankfully) destroy the party. I firmly believe that ~80% of US voters are sick and tired of this crap and the silent majority will rally around Obama in numbers we have never seen before if they decide to go that route.

A) you are naive and totally underestimate covert racism, B) the critical factor is electoral votes rather than popular vote and C) despite all that I'm totally with you in terms of throwdown.
    I listened to Hillary's "victory" speech after West Verginny and....well, let's just say I wish I hadn't. I really want to retain some shred of respect for her because I'm on the Hillary as Senate Maj Leader bandwagon.
    But her strategy of saying go with her because she can pull in the racists (hint to Hillary, those types don't really like you that much, you know. They're still voting for McCain in the general, my friend) is starting to wear. I'd kinda look forward to a run up to the general in which those who otherwise are reliable Dem voters but are antiObama are fronted each and every day with a very simple question. "Not voting for him, eh? Why not? ...No, really. Why Not?"
    At times I think confronting our (The USA's) inner racist in this way will be almost as valuable if Obama ultimately loses as it will be if he wins....

• juniorprof says:

DM,
    I am naive, and proud of it. Honestly, if one cannot be optimistic that voters will ultimately reject overt and/or covert racism come November what is the point of believing that these divided states can ever be anything but that.

• PD says:

juniorprof, please don't forget that this is a country that voted for bush's 2nd term. just because dems like obama doesn't mean the rest of the country will, although that seems to be the hope.
    the major issue this time is not iraq but the economy. the GOP is the go-to group when it comes to letting people keep their own money.

• I share your outrage JP. And DM, as usual, makes a very good point about racism although I'd argue it is not really that covert!
    Anyway, I'm thinking of coming up with a T-shirt which will feature a moldy saltine calling its barbie-doll wife a trollop and a cunt, topped off of course, with McCain in '08. What do ya guys think? Did I cover all the bases?

That'd be about the equivalent...although of course McCain did apparently say those things.
    but point of etymological order...doesn't "cracker" derive from "whip cracker"? And refer to the type of low class, uneducated white overseer whom the plantation owners would totally despise and slaves hate with a fury?
    that's the only one of the bandied etymological theories that makes sense for the pejorative application to racist white southerners is it not?

• I think so, DM.
    BTW, hasn't McCain turned into Bush's whipcracker in recent months anyway, flogging the the neo-con agenda upon the public yet despised by the GOP elite and hated by much of the public? So etymologically speaking, the symbolism of a saltine for McCain is even better than I'd thought/realized 😉
    The T-shirt's looking better and better.
    OK now I feel kinda unclean, saying such things even in jest.

OK now I feel kinda unclean, saying such things even in jest.
    well, you'll certainly want to be careful with the PillPoppin' Barbie gear....
    (and if Zuska or Janet find this thread....I don't know you man)

• juniorprof says:

Speaking of inner racism laid bare by the election process this cycle, have you seen the exit polls for Kentucky. 20% of whites say race played a role in their vote. First off, I bet this is an underestimate. Second, what reason, other than racism could be given for such an answer? And her "people" are playing these numbers up on MSNBC and elsewhere. I think i shall vomit my optimism.